Thursday 15 December 2022

Day 15 - Please Come Home For Christmas - The Eagles

Back in the olden days of 2011 the original version of this by Charles Brown featured on the blog under Day 21. So ancient was the concept of a loosely based music blog back then it was actually created on MySpace and in converting it to a web page I lost the individual page links. Imagine there was ever such a time! 

Anyway, I saw the Eagles in Hyde Park in the summer and they were magnificent so I thought it was time to re-run the song again - and this, from 1978, is by no means a poor substitute. Note how Don Henley acknowledges that 'bells will be ringing the sad, sad news' about spending the season alone, while Brown in the original from 1960 has the bells ringing 'the glad, glad news' that it's Christmas. How times change, huh?

Now actually I'll be spending the season alone but I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me 'cos at least I won't be squabbling with anyone over something puerile - well other than the cats, of course, who will once again refuse to eat the Christmas Turkey treat I got them from 'Pets 'R' Us'.

Ungrateful little buggers!